February 17, 2022 by Jon Jaehnig
- MR headset and software developer Magic Leap announced a “critical OS update for Magic Leap 1 and Magic Leap One Creator Edition.” Magic Leap is currently targeted almost exclusively at enterprise, and the update is targeted largely at developers, but other Magic Leap users should see the fruits of the update as they use their headsets and access future experiences and apps.
- VR training platform Talespin announced the closing of a $20M funding round led by investors including Sony Innovation Fund and Accenture. The company plans to use the funds to “scale its immersive learning platform to a range of different industries around the globe.
- In other funding news, Beem announced a $4M funding round. The cross-platform app focuses on AR communication, including live, two-way communication and pre-recorded one-way AR messages.
- In other AR news, hardware agnostic XR creator tool 8th Wall partnered with cross-platform avatar creator Ready Player Me. The partnership will allow users to include their Ready Player Me avatars into compatible experiences made with 8th Wall. Ready Player Me is constantly adding new partners, but 8th Wall is the first that preeminently features AR rather than VR.
- Monaverse isn’t the only immersive gallery out there. The Musee Dezentral has announced how its decentralized NFT gallery will work – a technical specification that has been unclear since the Musee started posting this autumn. Frames in the Musee will allow users to display ERC-721 and ERC-1155 tokens in a frame that will automatically change to fit the aspect ratio of the piece.
- This was also a big week for the immersive social platform Decentraland, with Vice opening an HQ and Miller Lite opening a pop-up bar for “The first Big Game ad in the metaverse.” The Meta Lite Bar seems to be closed now that the big game is over, and the Vice open house event has passed, but the publication does still plan on doing business out of their new virtual office.
- JP Morgan also opened a lounge in Decentraland, which wowed finance fans but proved “underwhelming” for XR enthusiasts.
- Fellow immersive social platform AltspaceVR announced a series of changes to its platform, mostly geared towards safety. Changes include the end of Altspace-hosted social clubs, the “safety bubble” being turned on by default, and new event attendees entering with muted mics. The changes will be the topic of a “Town Hall” event on Feb. 18 hosted by Alex Kipman.
This week’s news (barring a roundup of XR Super Bowl events that could have constituted its own article) are largely social in nature. Big announcements from Decentraland, Monaverse, Musee Dezentral, and AltspaceVR – not to mention the funding announcement by Beem – show that immersive spaces are not only gaining traction and adoption, they’re also maturing in their stacks and sustainability.
It’s also worth pointing out that two of the big announcements – HoloLens and AltspaceVR – are both Microsoft-led initiatives. While the computing giant is arguably underwhelming in terms of its expectations compared with consumer expectations, they certainly haven’t forgotten about their XR offerings.
February 17, 2022 by Jon Jaehnig MR headset and software developer Magic Leap announced a “critical OS update for Magic Leap 1 and Magic Leap One Creator Edition.” Magic Leap is currently targeted almost exclusively at enterprise, and the update is targeted largely at developers, but other Magic Leap users should see the fruits of the update as they use their
February 10, 2022 by Jon Jaehnig Snap Inc will be augmenting this year’s Super Bowl. Viewers with Snapchat will be able to view NFL shows in the app’s Discover section and can watch for Snap Codes during the game. Super Bowl fans with the NFL One Pass app will also be able to access AR content through Snap’s Camera Kit technology.
February 3, 2022 by Jon Jaehnig AR content creation platform MyWebAR has released four new occlusion plugins that can be quickly and easily incorporated into user projects. Occlusion is the ability to place a digital object in a scene such that it appears behind other objects. It’s notoriously tricky but very important for immersion. Sprite sponsored an AR experience that brought out-of-arena
January 27, 2022 by Jon Jaehnig Consumer AR headset manufacturer Nreal announced a partnership with media giant Cinedigm. The partnership is important as we’ve learned in the past that cool hardware isn’t enough to hold consumer attention when a platform lacks a variety of engaging content. Snap announced a “new AR shopping UI” that promises to bring ease and quality to online
January 20, 2022 by Jon Jaehnig BRCvr, the outfit that has been bringing Burning Man to life in AltspaceVR during the pandemic, has announced the first ever BRCvr Film Festival. The festival will include live viewings of three immersive films followed by question-and-answer sessions with the artists, as well as a pre-party and additional talks by the creators behind BRCvr. GigXR announced
January 13, 2022 by Jon Jaehnig An update to browser-based immersive platform FRAME includes a polling feature, improved hand tracking in VR, asset and effects libraries, and expanding room limits. Industry veteran, analyst, and commentator Tom Ffiske has announced that his second book “The Metaverse: A Professional Guide” will be published next month. SimulaVR’s Simula One Headset is expected to open a Kickstarter
January 6, 2022 by Jon Jaehnig Rendever has shipped RendeverFit, a workout program for seniors meant to exercise both their minds and bodies. The program was announced last year and preorders have been open for months. It is composed of three modules: a cycling program, an upper body program, and a multiplayer 3D painting program. Modular mixed reality headset manufacturer DigiLens has
January 3, 2022 Hear what Global Chief Digital Officer Ben Spiegel of P&G Beauty hopes to accomplish at ARExperience this October 17 in Santa Monica, CA: https://www.arexperience.us/
December 23, 2021 by Jon Jaehnig There’s no shortage of quality XR news this week. Which is good, because ARExperience is taking a break for the holidays next week. So, soak in all of this week’s quality content, and we’ll see you in 2022. The XR Research Awards announced that they have received an “incredibly overwhelming” eighty-nine proposals but that they expect
December 20, 2021 Global Chief Digital Officer Ben Spiegel of P&G Beauty talks with CEO Paran Johar about how small AR companies can breakthrough at big brands. Learn more from Ben at ARExperience this October 17 in Santa Monica: https://www.arexperience.us/